How to make a bow tie from a tie: step by step instructions
In this master class, I want to share with you the technique of making such a stylish accessory as a bow tie. You will need very little time to get an excellent result!
We will be sewing not a classic butterfly-samovyaz, but the so-called “laziness”, which is easy to use (it does not need to be carefully tied), and at the same time it looks no worse than a samovyaz, but on the contrary, many people like it at the expense of their own correct neat shapes.
To make a bow tie, we need:
- a piece of fabric 24 * 13 cm (I use suit fabric, you need to choose something similar: not too thick or thin, and it is desirable that the fabric does not stretch practically, you can take the simplest gabardine),
- a piece of fabric 4 * 7 cm for a jumper,
- doublerin is also 24 * 13 cm, as the main part (in the photo it is not, you can not use it if the fabric is dense enough to hold its shape),
- elastic braid 50 cm, width 12 cm,
- a regulator and a hook for a bra for 12-13 cm (the width of these details depends on the width of the braid),
- scissors, chalk, pins, ruler or tape.
We cut out the details: the main and small. First of all, we need to glue the main part with doubler so that it can keep its shape in the future. If you have a sufficiently dense fabric, you don’t need to glue it.
Fold the main part in half lengthwise, with the inside out and stitch it, retreating 4-5 mm from the edge. For convenience, I pin pins.
Next, we turn the part out and iron it so that the seam is in the middle, as shown in the photo.
The next step is to fold the ironed part in half with a seam out and stitch it, retreating 5 mm from the edge.
Again we take up the iron. The part must be turned out so that the seam is inside and placed in the middle, then ironed. In the photo on the left is the stitched part. On the right - turned and ironed. The main part is ready.
We take a small detail, the future jumper. We fold along, with the front side of the fabric outward and stitching, we retreat 3mm from the edge.
Iron a small part so that the seam is in the middle. The photo below shows how it should turn out.
We fold the jumper in half, seam out and stitch it, as shown in the photo. Indentation from the edge depends on your fabric. The thinner it is, the greater the indentation. Then we turn out the jumper.
Is it possible to make a bow tie from an ordinary tie?
If you look back at history, you can see that many famous owners of bow ties were scientists, writers and politicians. Even children can wear a bow tie for the reason that there are already ready knotted models on sale that are enough to adjust in length and just snap on.
It is worth noting that in a situation where this accessory is needed immediately, it is quite possible to use an ordinary tie in order to form a beautiful bow tie.
The ability to beautifully tie a butterfly is a kind of rite of initiation into gentlemen. To learn this wisdom is not so simple. Therefore, the first time a photo instruction on how to tie a bow-tie should be at hand. It is best to print it and hang it near the mirror. As practice shows, in order to learn how to do it well and quickly you need to repeat this procedure 50 to 60 times.
Scheme and execution technology
The process of making a bow tie a little complicated is why you should adhere to the following steps:
- choose your favorite tie that you want to convert into a new accessory shape,
- place the middle finger on top of the thick end (seam side up) under the tie, and the ring finger and index finger over the tie. Thus, you should carefully fold the two side edges of the tie down, towards the seamless side,
- then fold the entire wide end towards the seamless side, sticking it into the stitched loop and stretch it away with your free hand,
- the beginning of the crease. At this stage, it is determined how wide the bow tie will be. To do this, just put your 4 fingers on top of the protruding edge and grab the thin end of the tie to shift it over your fingers, thus forming one layer of a butterfly,
- in order to make the accessory as close as possible to a bow tie, you need to make a couple more folds. To do this, you just need to put your hand on the already made fold and repeat the process for the two flaps,
- then bend the thin end to the middle of the future butterfly and press it to the seam. Holding the formed layers of the butterfly, wrapped the thin end around the vertical layers of fabric and skip it under the beginning of the thin edge,
- pull the thin end while holding the formed butterfly to tighten the knot and let the folds of fabric fold into a true butterfly,
- to fix it on the neck, you need to push the free thin edge of the tie through the knot in the same place where it was pushed the first time when you made the shape of a bow. At this point, you need to tighten the knot again so that it does not slip.
You can make various types of butterflies yourself. First of all, products are classified by the method of tying:
- Samovyaz. The most creative option to experiment with nodules. Monochrome and bilateral models are relevant.
- On the clasp. To put on, you just need to fasten the product - the bow-tie in this case is already completely ready and does not need any additional manipulations.
- Attachable. The model is fixed to the shirt floors, next to the top button, using a special clothespin.
The tying method is selected in accordance with individual preferences. The easiest way is to make a butterfly like a self-knot, the implementation of ready-made models is somewhat more complicated. Samovyaz On the clasp Riveting
Depending on the form, products are of the following types:
- Classical or Butterfly. A traditional version that resembles the wings of the same insect. The width of the bow reaches 6.5 cm, suitable for a man of any physique.
- Large Butterfly. The model is relevant for large men with a full neck. On a thin figure will look strange and even comical. Product width - up to 8.5 cm.
- Diamond Point. A bow tie resembles a diamond: the classic shape is in perfect harmony with the angular tips, similar to rhombuses. Asymmetric cut is used to create original images.
- Rounded Club. Club version of a small size with rounded outlines, suitable for theme events, parties.
- Continental tie. It is a fabric strip with extensions at the edges, fixed with a fastener by applying one tip to another.
The classic model and Large Butterfly are the easiest to sew on your own. Other options will be a bit more difficult for home-made. Classic Large butterfly Diamond point Rounded club Continental tie
Materials and Tools
Practical to use fabrics that do not require complicated care are suitable for sewing a bow tie. When choosing, seasonality is taken into account. So, for the cold season, tweed, wool are optimal, for warm - denim, cotton (canvas, oxford, thin material), satin.
Monochrome products are suitable for adult men: black, burgundy, white, dark blue. Pastel colors are relevant: pale blue, peach, milk, gray-silver. Representatives of the stronger sex, who like to attract attention, should turn to bright colors: yellow, pink, red, purple. There are a variety of prints: polka dots, cage, geometric shapes. Bold fashionistas will appreciate the drawings in the form of skulls, palm trees, deer.
Printed fabric butterflies look much more interesting than plain ones. This is a great option for graduation or for any other special occasion.
Butterflies for the boy are made using bright prints. Images of hearts, unicorns, flamingos, as well as various inscriptions are popular. Kids will also like models decorated with their favorite cartoon characters.
To sew a bow tie on your own, in addition to the main fabric, you will need the following materials and consumables:
- non-woven or doubler,
- threads matching color
- elastic or stretching braid,
- accessories for making fasteners,
- decorations - optional.
In the process, you will need scissors, crayons or felt-tip pens for marking the material, a set of needles. If there is no sewing machine, you can do the work manually. To obtain a high-quality result, blind hemming stitches are used (“fluff”, “back with the needle”). Conventional double-pass seams are suitable. Tweed Wool Canvas Atlas Clasps
Making a simple double satin ribbon do-it-yourself bow tie
The easiest way to make a double butterfly from a ribbon.
1) Satin ribbon,
2) Thread and needle,
5) Colorless varnish,
6) Decor elements,
1) We cut from the tape two blanks of the desired length. The ends are treated with a lighter. We take one of the segments and sew its ends together. Then we sew the stitches in the center, pulling the thread so that a bow is formed. We perform similar actions with the second satin segment.
2) Next, we attach the bows to each other, hiding the place of attachment with a thin satin jumper. From the wrong side we fix the elastic band.
3) We finish the craft by decorating with the selected elements.
Such a butterfly can turn out in the process. Decoration with beads and rhinestones is more a feminine option; for a man, you can leave the accessory without additional decor.
In this master class, the stages of making a bow tie for a boy who will decorate the outfit on a special day will be considered.
1) Satin ribbons of different widths,
2) Organza ribbon,
3) Threads and needles,
4) scissors, pins,
1) From wide ribbons of satin and organza we cut pieces 26 cm long. We put the pieces on top of each other, the satin section should be from the bottom. We fasten the edges of the tapes with a lighter.
2) Next, we fold both sides of the workpiece to each other so that a seam with an overlap of 1 cm is obtained. We stab with a pin. Then we lay a seam, tightening and fixing the thread.
3) We make the tie for the butterfly out of a narrow ribbon. To do this, simply cut the desired length from the satin ribbon. We also make a small jumper.
4) Apply glue to the middle of the tie and to the jumper. We attach the belt to the wrong side, and wrap the middle of the butterfly with a jumper. Craft is ready!
You can additionally decorate the accessory with small elements. The choice of decor will depend on the person for whom this product is intended. And also from the event, which is planned to put on the original decoration.
To make the perfect bow tie with your own hands, it will be useful to clarify the optimal parameters of the future product. The size is influenced by the type of accessory. The length of the classic models reaches 15 cm, mini - 10 cm, children's - 7 cm.
The width of a traditional tie is 5.5 or 6 cm, narrowed models for adult men - 3 cm, for babies - 2-3 cm. The length of the adjustable strap reaches 30–45 cm. To accurately determine the parameters, it is necessary to measure the circumference of the neck. Based on the data obtained, the future product is modeled. About 0.5 cm is added to the measurements obtained for allowance, then the worn butterfly will sit freely, without causing discomfort.
With a neck circumference of 36.5 cm + a margin of allowance of 0.5 cm, the final result is 37 cm. The optimal length of the strap in this case will be 41 cm or more.
The appropriate size of the product is determined on the basis of the principle: the tie should not be longer than the face. The width is selected in accordance with the parameters of the gate. The large butterfly on the neck is in harmony with the classic collar, the middle - with soft semi-finished options.
MK for making a luxurious bow tie for a girl
This master class will tell you how to make an unusual decoration from ribbons for girls in the form of a bow tie.
1) Tape of two colors (width 5 cm),
2) Needle and thread,
5) Lace and beads for decoration,
6) Glue gun.
1) In this work, we used ribbons of white and gray colors. From the white atlas we cut 2 strips 20 cm long, from the gray - segments 18 and 28 cm long. We process the cut sides with a lighter.
2) From short sections of tape we form bows. For this, we sew the ends of each segment. Then we twist and stitch in the middle. Next, we wind the thread on the line, pulling together both sides. We get bows.
3) Getting down to making a tie. To do this, take a long stretch of gray satin and fold in half so that the ends form a right angle.
4) Next, fold in half, getting a triangular tie. Iron with an iron.
5) We collect a bow tie. To do this, we connect white bows with each other in the central part, obtaining a larger workpiece. Sew a little lace to the gray bow. Then attach it to the white bow.
6) From the inside, glue a tie and an elastic band, with which we will tie a bow tie on the neck. Hide the place of attachment with a lace strip.
7) We finish the work by decorating with selected beads or sparkles.
Easy on elastic
To create suitable polyester, silk, cotton, as well as combinations of fabrics. To work, you need such materials:
- non-woven fabric or thermal fabric,
- elastic trim: 50 cm long and 1.5 cm wide,
- suitable clasp
- adjustable strap
- a small stretch of material chosen for a tie: 60 x 20 cm.
After preparation, you can proceed to cutting and sewing. Step-by-step instructions will help you do the job correctly:
- A 50 x 13 cm rectangle is drawn on the material, marking is carried out, the part is cut out.
- Exactly the same element is cut out of the thermal fabric, both parts are chipped with pins across the cut.
- A jumper 7 x 6 cm is cut out, which is also strengthened by thermal fabric.
- A stitch is made along the longitudinal side of the main part, the outer allowance is tucked and sewn.
- The product is turned out and ironed. The butterfly folds in half, at a distance of 12 cm from the fold, a fixing line is created along the entire length.
- Open stocks and cuts are cut off, surpluses are cut off.
- A tie is formed from the fabric, ironed, another line is made in the center, uniform folds are laid.
After performing the above manipulations, the product is wrapped with a jumper, the ends are connected with short stitches. If desired, you can use the decor. Cut fabric Bend the main element from two sides and iron Bend the edges again to the middle and fix with a seam Form a harness from the part for the jumper Sew the edges and turn to the front Tie the bow tie to form, lay the folds, pull the middle with a thread Fasten jumper Push in the elastic and sew the ends together Ready product
From satin ribbons on an adjustable fastener
The perfect butterfly for the boy is satin. To make a model 5 cm wide, you need two pieces of tape 11 cm long, one 25 cm and another 7 cm. A step-by-step master class will help you to do the job correctly:
- The atlas strip 11 cm long is bent at a right angle and folded in half, fixed with a pin.
- With a ribbon 7 cm long, the same actions are performed, but in mirror image.
- Both parts are sewn with sewn stitches. The thread does not break, but serves to fasten the elements.
- The longest section is folded in half, the center is marked. The edges are tucked to the center with an overlap of 1 cm.Basting stitches are made, the thread is pulled together and wrapped around several times.
- The resulting two parts are sewn together.
- To make a jumper, a 7-cm tape is pulled to the center, fasteners are attached to the elastic, and a length adjuster is installed.
- The butterfly sticks to an elastic band, turns into a jumper.
Pattern to create a satin model for a young gentleman is not required.
When sewing such a model of a butterfly on the neck with your own hands, you will need to start by building a pattern. You can download the finished version on one of the thematic resources and adapt it to your sizes. In any case, the circumference of the neck is pre-measured. Do not forget about the increase of 0.5 cm. We sew step by step:
- The finished pattern should be attached to the fabric, then cut both sides of the product.
- Sew the edges of the elements, leaving a hole on one side.
- To turn out a product, to sew up a hole.
- Iron the surface with an iron.
To subsequently get a stylish accessory from a simple model’s tie, you should study the original knotting patterns or be inspired by examples of stellar men.
To create a stylish butterfly on the neck with your own hands, you need to prepare pieces of fabric: 11 x 11 cm for the base and 3.5 x 5.5 cm for the jumper. Satin ribbons will help to form an attractive bow. The work is carried out in stages:
- A piece of 30 cm long and 3 cm wide is cut from the ribbon, the edges are burned on fire.
- A bow is created from a wide segment, fixed with a pin. With a narrow ribbon, the same actions are performed.
- Both elements are connected, stitched in the middle.
- On a small part, a 1 cm wide strip is tucked and ironed.
- The seam is closed, the jumper is fixed on the wrong side.
- Ready bow is complemented with an elastic band, hairpin or hoop.
To fix on the neck through a small mount stretches an elastic band. You can simplify the task by sewing Velcro to a ribbon that is pulled into a bow.
Step-by-step master classes with photographs clearly demonstrate how to sew a butterfly for a boy or man. Having figured out simple ideas, you can safely experiment, creating unique accessories from unusual materials and textures, and, if necessary, decorating them to your liking.
We select the fabric
A fabric for a tie will suit any. The main condition is that it should not stretch. At the same time, it can be dense or thin, plain, polka-dotted, flower, striped, shiny and matte.
Among our range of products for sewing, you can easily find the necessary material.
You can take stretch material, if it is suitable for the outfit. But in this case, when cutting it, you need to thoroughly glue it with non-woven, doubler or bortovka. He will give density, and will not allow the tie to stretch. The same should be done with thin tissues, otherwise the “wings” of the butterfly will sag and you need to achieve the effect will not work.
Master class on creating a bow tie
There are several styles of butterflies, but we offer you to sew not a classic butterfly-samovyaz, but a “laziness”, which does not require a long careful knotting. Many liked it due to its neat appearance and ease of use. Such a butterfly is suitable not only for the groom and friends of the groom, but also for graduates of schools and kindergartens.
To make a bow tie you need:
- fabric 24x13 cm (gabardine fabric is used in the photo. You need to choose something similar: not too thick or thin, and it is desirable that the fabric practically does not stretch,
- piece of fabric 4x7 cm for a jumper,
- piece of fabric 5x60 cm for the strap,
- metal fittings
- sewing machine,
- iron thread
- hot glue.
If there is no time or, as they say, both hands are left, then the simplest way will come in handy.
- Cut 3 rectangles from cardboard: 8 by 13 cm, 13 by 23.5 cm and 11.5 by 22 cm.
- Attach to the fabric and circle them, remove. Cut out the details.
- Fold detail 12 by 23.5 cm lengthwise in half, iron well.
- Now straighten and fold not along, but across, and also iron.
- Spread and bend the long ends on both sides to the longitudinal bend line. To smooth.
- Without straightening the workpiece, do the same with short ends. But fold a little lap. Iron.
- Do the same manipulations with the detail 11.5 by 22 cm. You will get a double butterfly. But this step can be skipped.
- Detail 8 by 13 cm is a jumper. It needs to be folded in half lengthwise, ironed.
- Unfold and twist the long tip to the fold line.
- Do collapse until you get a narrow ribbon. Iron the blank.
- The two main parts need to be pulled a little in the middle.
- Sew the edges on a small part and make a ring out of it.
- Fold two large parts together, sew them in the middle and thread them into a ring.
Cut a length equal to the neck circumference from the gum. It is important that the resulting accessory does not hang out and does not press. We consider that there will be a fastener. Both buttons and hooks will do. Pass the elastic through the ring. Sew a clasp to the edges. Now it’s all.
If you can tie a regular tie, then deal with a bow tie.
- Draw a pattern according to the diagram below, add allowances and cut it out of the fabric.
- It will take 2 parts. If necessary, they are glued glued.
- Place blanks on top of each other and sew together, leaving room for eversion.
- Turn out, paying special attention to the corners and smooth lines near the widest place.
- Make a mark on the perimeter of the whole tie and iron it well.
- Remove the basting and learn how to tie your creation.
Such a tie from two fabrics of different shades looks interesting. But the classic version involves the use of one color in a tie.
And those who do not know how to tie a butterfly can learn by step-by-step instructions.
Further, the main parts are smoothed out with an iron: we bend the edges to the center (first from above and below, then to the right and left). We take a small detail, the future jumper. We put along the front side of the fabric outward.
Do not worry if the fabric starts to fringe, all this will be hidden during sewing.
A strap is pushed through the central jumper.
And now, the bow tie with an adjustable strap is ready!
“I hope that my workshop will be pleasant and useful! To all who start creating wonderful butterflies, I wish you inspiration and creative success! ”
The master class was prepared by Barbarisk
What fabric to use for sewing butterflies?
It is very important to pay attention to the choice of fabric from which a bow tie will be made. It should hold its shape well, be tight, but not stretch. Basically, the material for this accessory is chosen, starting from the season. So wool and tweed are suitable for the cold season, and silk for warmer. But cotton is a universal fabric, it is appropriate for any season.
Therefore, we recommend the DailyLike cotton fabric.
Why dailylike fabrics?
DailyLike fabric is now at the peak of popularity, and this is understandable, because it is 100% cotton and a huge selection of relevant, fashionable prints. Dailylike designers were inspired by natural motifs - pastel shades, images of plants, flowers, birds and animals. Such a variety of colors and textures of the fabric greatly simplifies the process of the needlewoman’s work, since almost all DailyLike fabrics are combined, not only in themes, but also in colors.
This material allows you to sew not only a bow tie, but also other products: bedding, pillows, toys, mobiles, clothes, aprons, covers, bags, etc.
In addition, DailyLike cotton fabrics are hypoallergenic, so they are suitable not only for adults, but also for children. After washing, there is no shrinkage, and in the future the material is perfectly smoothed.
Where is the accessory appropriate?
A white shirt, black jacket and invariably black bow tie. This is a classic of the genre for social events, but not the only option.
Now it can be found in "casual" images, in a variety of colors, textures and shapes. We can say that the bow tie has become the second unspoken symbol of hipsters after the beard and plaid shirts.
If you choose an accessory for your everyday look, don't be afraid to experiment. Choose a butterfly in the color of a pocket scarf, shoes or eyeglass frames. Be sure - this step will not go unnoticed.
In the event that you plan to attend an event where the classic dress code is registered - Tailcoat or tuxedo in combination with a bow tie will be a great solution.
If you are planning a business meeting - give preference to a classic tie. This is the rare case when a butterfly will look a little out of place and be perceived as frivolity.
Reference! According to etiquette - it is supposed to wear a black bow tie for a tuxedo, and a white one for a tailcoat.
Step-by-step instruction with a diagram
A tie is a kind of “cherry on a cake” of your image. Therefore, tie it last, after you fasten all the buttons on your shirt and put on a jacket (if it is part of your image).
Try it, it’s not at all difficult if you follow the instructions!
- Throw a tie over the collar so that one end is slightly outstripped the other.
- Cross them at the narrowest part.
- Stretch the left side under the right and tighten a simple knot.
- Fold the free end in half.
- While holding the folded structure (with your left hand), put the rest in the center of the left side of the product (with your right hand).
- Pass the right end of the future butterfly through the bottom of the folded left side so that a loop forms.
- Fold the right side of the tie in half, braid around the left, and pass the end through the hole formed.
- Fold in half the right end, pull inward so that the fabric forms into a bow.
- Pull the butterfly by the edges to center the knot.
- Correct the collar of the shirt and enjoy the result!
We use a ready knot
Most manufacturers of accessories take into account the fact that a modern man rarely has free time to preen in front of a mirror and therefore put on sale ties already tied.
You can put on such a product in just 2 steps:
- Place the accessory under the collar so that it is exactly centered. Focus on the button row.
- Close the back closure.
Fasten to the clamp
Here the situation is almost the same as in the previous version. The butterfly is already tied up - it needs only to be fixed. On the reverse side there is a kind of clothespin, or hooks, with which you can fix the tie on the collar of the shirt.
Reference! Initially, the bow tie on the clip was invented for children - it did not slide to one side during active games and did not get loose.
Tied from a classic tie
You have already come up with an image with a bow tie, but found that in your wardrobe there are only classic ties?
This is not a problem if you know how to create an elegant bow from a standard mid-length tie. For this:
- Tuck the end of the tie into the hole on the back so that you get a square.
- Put the right end of the tie parallel to the left, on top of it.
- Move the lower part up.
- Hold the folded loop so that the bow shape is clearly visible.
- Insert the remaining free parts inward so that its left and right sides are symmetrical to each other.
A little workout in front of the mirror, and you can tie your tie in a few seconds.
Attention! Remember that the butterfly is formed on the basis of the classic knot, and then it will be easier for you to navigate.
How to make a bow-tie from a tie is shown in the video:
We select under the clothes
Here are some basic color schemes to help you look stylish and appropriate in any situation:
- The black. The black butterfly is an ageless classic that fits almost everything. It looks most advantageous against the background of a white shirt, and textured - as an addition to a black one.
- White A tie is a great way to play in contrast if you have a black shirt. It looks interesting against the background of a white shirt, especially with silver splashes.
- Blue. Another popular option among men who prefer to look stylish and at the same time unusual. A great addition to a blue suit and pink shirt.
- Blue The tie is suitable for summer looks and looks spectacular in photographs. Suitable for a gray or dark blue suit, snow-white or sky-blue shirt.
- Red. Pretty catchy and aggressive color, attracting attention. This accessory is often used by media personalities and presenters whose activities are related to the show. It is relevant for black, blue and gray suits and shirts.
- Burgundy. A more modest version of the predecessor. It goes well with a black, light brown and dark blue outfit.
- Pink color Despite its softness, it can perfectly harmonize with a brutal masculine image. See for yourself by trying on a pink bow-tie with a purple suit and a gray shirt.
- Brown The butterfly complements retro looks well and fits brown and dark blue suits, as well as champagne-spray shirts.
- Orange. Another extravagant option, for lovers of everything unusual. It will complement the autumn and spring image, in harmony with the surrounding nature. It is combined with gray, striped suits and shirts of white or brown color.
- Yellow tie - a daring and catchy touch. A challenge to gray weekdays and officialdom. Try on it with a blue or beige suit and a blue or white shirt. You will be surprised how interesting colors can harmonize, which at first glance seem incompatible.
Any skill is mastered better if you see a good example in front of you. Be sure to watch the video to make sure that you are doing everything right!
Watch the video, which step by step describes the process of tying a bow tie:
Contrary to popular belief, an expensive suit and stylish leather shoes are not enough to look presentable. The main thing is the ability to use accessories.
Believe me, one little thing - a belt, a watch and even a bow tie, can change the familiar image beyond recognition!